This past week, I received a reader request from Lauren via the Sonia Styling Facebook page:
“I was just wondering if you could do a feature on how to wear ankle boots with pants? I have lots of skinny leg pants and feel like I need sneakers or flats with them. My last ankle boots were horribly slouchy and I need to find some that work for me but I am a bit stuck.”
I’m still mastering the art of the ankle boot myself, but I love a challenge – so I happily accepted Lauren’s request…and promptly went off to buy myself some ankle boots (purely in the name of research, if Mr Styling is reading this).
Hot tip: if you’re unsure about a certain item of clothing and want to give it a go, hit up one of the chainstores to buy it. In this case, I went to Kmart as I knew I wanted 2 pairs but didn’t want to spend too much. I managed to score the neutral pair for $25 and the black pair for $29. I chose these 2 colours, as neutral tones are the most versatile and a good place to start.
Tips for wearing ankle boots with pants or jeans:
- Always make sure you can see the whole ankle boot itself.
- When wearing ankle boots with straight/slim leg or boyfriend jeans, cuff them so that you can see a hint of skin between the boot and the jean. You should only need to roll them up once or twice at the most.
- If you’re wearing skinny jeans (or jeggings), make sure they tuck into your ankle boot with no bunching. Get your jeans altered if need be to achieve this streamlined look.
- Ponte leggings are your Autumn/Winter best friend! Not only do they look like skinny black pants, they also hug your ankles making them perfect to tuck into ankle boots (like I’ve done with the black pair).
- Choose a style of ankle boot that suits you. As you can see from the 2 pairs that I’ve chosen, they are different in colour and style, but both are structured and not slouchy.
How to style your ankle boots:
As you can see in the left picture, I’ve cuffed my jeans to show off the low cut cowgirl style ankle boots. I then added a white top, scarf and anorak to complete the outfit. This would be a great Weekend Uniform for anything scheduled into the social calendar from Saturday morning sport to a Sunday afternoon BBQ. It’s cute and casual but still stylish.
In the righthand photo, I’ve styled the black ankle boots with ponte pants, a longline striped top and a black trench coat. This outfit would be ideal for a fabulous lunch with friends or even a lovely dinner with your signficant other. I like that it feels dressed up, but is incredibly comfortable and practical. I have a feeling this outfit will get a lot of wear for me during Autumn/Winter!
If you’d like more boot inspiration, pop on over to Styling You to learn How to Wear Knee High Boots.
How do you style your ankle boots?