Retrograde

Ballerina

{image}

I was recently chatting with some bloggy mates about life.

More specifically, about how life seems a bit off kilter recently. About sleepless nights and feeling out of sorts.

It was at this point I was informed by my friend that, “Mercury is in retrograde”.

For a second I thought it might have something to do with a cool new musical mash-up of Queen and James Blake, but no – the planet Mercury was up to some funny-weird-not-funny-haha dance moves and we were the intended audience.

She then shared this post about ‘How to Survive Mercury in Retrograde’ from Gala Darling, which explains that all sorts of things can happen in those few weeks – crazy arguments about nothing in particular, being unable to communicate properly, electronic equipment being on the fritz, travel delays, details being missed. You name it, it happens.

Then, when I got to the part about exactly HOW to survive this cuckoo period, the light bulb flickered.

The suggestions weren’t just for Mercury’s moment. They formed a really good little list for surviving LIFE at ANY time of the year…

• Don’t take things so personally all the time.
  • Back up your data.
  • When making big ticket purchases, do your research and make sure it has a warranty.
  • Read the small print on contracts.
  • Finish projects you start.
  • Get together with friends and laugh.
  • Be across important information, such as travel details.
  • Take things as they come. Learn from the shit times. Accept that it is what it is. Move on.
  • Use what you’ve been through and what you’ve learned to drive you forward to the future you want.

It’s not rocket science. It’s not woo-woo. It’s just common sense.

Life can be a little (or a lot) crazy sometimes.

We’ve just got to remember to turn the music up and dance.

Have you had a rough time of it recently? How have you overcome it?

Find Me Here: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

Weekend Rewind

Link up your favourite post from the past week and then pop around to say hello to some of the other lovely linkers.

The Weekend Rewind blog hopping party starts every Friday night at 8pm AEST and links will close on Sunday night at midnight AEST.

Link up here or over on Life, Love and Hiccups, Maxabella Loves or A Life Less Frantic and your link will show up on all of these blogs.

Happy reading!

Comments

1. says

I’m very glad you said this… The other day hubby woke to the power being off in the kitchen… Odd. We were worried the fridge was on the fritz Noooo! I love my fridge. It’s not new far from it but it’s got the largest freezer space… Anyway, it hasn’t happened since.
    I can now just blame it on Mercury and move on. Phew.

2. says

That explains a lot of what has been happening in our house! Your tips are great. My biggest piece of advice is to not fall into the victim mentality when bad things happen. Just acknowledge that sh*t happens and stop waiting for the next bad thing!

• Sonia says

Oh goodness yes! It’s all too easy to slide down that slippery slope of feeling like shit. You’ve got to catch yourself as quickly as possible and just keep going…

3. says

Yes! Definitely got the retrograding going on here lately. These are some good common sense tips, perfect for life in general, for sure Sonia x

4. says

Well, we lost the internet for 3 days and have a household of 5 wiped out with chest infections and bronchitis…does that count? I have heard that when people turn 28 they usually have a huge life change too.

• Sonia says

Holy quackers! Yes, I’d say that definitely more than counts. Hope everyone is on the improve at your place.

5. merilyn says

good practical, positive tips … spot on Sonia!
    it’s like the borrowers are living in our house!
    we can’t find anything lately!!! always a bit crazy here!
    I live with a mercurial virgo! … lol M:)X

• Sonia says

Not being able to find stuff at home drives me bonkers! I love order and living in renovation is anything but!

6. says

I so agree about finishing projects that you start… and turning up the music and just dancing… all of them, thanks for reminding me x

7. says

Oh Sonia, life sure has been absolutely crazy for me in the last month. But as you say, we have to accept what it is, and learn to move on. For me, I needed to learn to grief, I am never really good at it, I’ve always one to just get on with it. But this time I had to allow myself to grieve. Also prayer. I find that gives me a lot of peace, and takes me out of ‘victim mentality’ and gives me the ‘I can do this’ mentality. I sure hope things get better for all of us! Keep well!

• Sonia says

Monica, we often feel like we should “just be getting on with it” when in actual fact we should “just be getting through it”. Be kind to yourself. Feel all of your emotions. Move forward when you’re ready. Big hugs. x

Trackbacks