If you haven’t already attended one, I have no doubt your calendar is fast filling up with future dates to get together with friends, family and colleagues.
And if you’re anything like me, you’ll be starting to wonder what to wear to all of these events (and how many times you can repeat an outfit).
With that in mind, here’s my survival guide to looking stylish without breaking the bank this party season:
- First things first, jot down the events you’re going to and the dress code for each.
- Next, shop your wardrobe. Pull out any and every piece that you think will work for each event and – if you’re feeling extra efficient – add a sticky note or tape a piece of paper to the coat hanger to specify which event that outfit is for. Want to take it one step further? Separate those items of clothing from the rest of your wardrobe so you have your ‘Party Section’ that you can quickly head straight to and pull your outfit when the occasion calls for it.
- Identify any gaps in your wardrobe. You might simply find you are only missing one or two pieces, such as a top and a pair of shoes or maybe a bag and some new accessories. This is the most cost effective way to update your wardrobe and create some new looks by mixing in your new pieces with items you already own.
- Another option is to ask your friends or family to borrow an item or an outfit. If you’re lucky enough to have someone in your life who is the same dress size or shoe size as you, ask them if you can borrow an item or two for your upcoming events. As payment, offer to return the favour whenever they have a special occasion.
- Finally, you can always hire an outfit. So many of think we need a new dress for every event we attend … and then inevitably end up with a wardrobe full of party dresses we’ve only worn once or twice. Consider hiring a gorgeous frock for the night. There are many affordable options out there and many also include dry cleaning in the hire price.
OK, now that we’ve got our plan sorted, I’ve put together 3 outfit options for what to wear to a Christmas party – the casual get-together, the long lunch/after work event and the cocktail soiree.
1. Sportsgirl ‘Scream Queen’ Sunglasses $39.95 | 2. Katies ‘Cutwork’ Clutch $39.95 | 3. Katies Fedora Hat $24.95 | 4. Witchery Tuck Pocket Shorts $79.95 | 5. Katies Lace Trim Wrap Top $49.95 | 6. I Love Billy ‘Marlena’ Wedges from Styletread $79.95
The Casual Get-Together
In summer (and at Christmas) there’s really nothing better than a BBQ.
Whether it’s at the park, beach or at home, you can’t go wrong with the classic colour combination of navy, white and tan.
For this outfit, I’ve teamed a lightweight lace trim white top with a pair of relaxed yet tailored navy shorts. To complete the look, I’ve added a pair of low heeled tan wedges, a fabulous fedora and sunglasses for extra sun protection and an easy clutch that can be worn as a crossbody bag.
1. Seed Heritage ‘Valerie’ Bag $69.95 | 2. Katies Wrap Look Dress $99.95 | 3. Forever New ‘Lianne’ Blazer $99.99 | 4. Witchery Metal Lock Bracelet $39.95 | 5. Witchery Interlock Earrings $39.95 | 6. Witchery ‘Miller’ Block Heels $159.95
The Long Lunch / After Work Event
A lot of us might find ourselves settling in for a long lunch or having to attend an event straight from work.
Whatever the occasion, this flattering wrap style dress is a perfect choice for your corporate or casual wardrobe.
To make it office appropriate and a little more dressed up for an event, I’ve teamed it with a structured blazer in crisp summer white. Soft gold accessories are a beautiful, subtle way to add a little bling and tan heels and bag complete this fresh and festive look.
1. Witchery ‘Rampling’ Jumpsuit $249.95 | 2. Mimco ‘Aquatica’ Earrings $79.95 | 3. Forever New ‘Annabelle’ Bow Clutch $39.99 | 4. Sportsgirl ‘Olivia’ Block Heel $79.95 | 5. Mimco ‘Cascade’ Ring Stack $129 | 6. Witchery V-Neck Asymmetric Dress $169.95
The Cocktail Soiree
When an invitation says ‘cocktail’ as the dress code, no matter whether it’s day or night, it automatically gives you permission to dress up.
Now, I’m not talking full length ball gowns or anything! Rather, a modern take on the LBD is a jumpsuit. It’s a pared back dress alternative for any weather, and this particular style features a cross over V-neck, elasticated waist and tapered leg. If you’re not a jumpsuit fan, a gorgeous black midi dress is a fabulous choice.
To complete the look, I’ve chosen a sweet bow clutch that gives a nod to Christmas as well as some stacked rings and statement stud earrings to inject a little colour and personality.
What events do you have in your calendar for this party season?
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click to buy the item, I earn a little commission but you don’t pay any extra.