I owe you an explanation…

Flowers

It would seem that I owe you an explanation…

You see, it’s been over a month since I last wrote a blog post.

What gives, right?

Well, some of you may not realise this but I still have a day job. I work 4 days a week in communications in what is a demanding, busy, quite reactive role.

But what many of you may not know is that I also started a new business at the beginning of the year.

Late last year, after quite a bit of soul searching and reflection, I came to realise the number of conversations I’d had with friends and people that I’d just met about their businesses and social media. Particularly, what they should (and shouldn’t) be doing online, sharing tips and tricks, and generally just solving their problems on the spot. Which is when I realised – this could be a business idea. MY business.

So I quietly took on one client. And then another. And another. And another.

And Socially Styled was born.

It’s grown steadily and now I’m managing social media accounts, putting together monthly newsletters, rewriting website copy and writing blog posts for clients.

It means 5am starts during the week to do 2 hours of work before work, several hours work in the evenings and full days worth of work on the weekends and on Mondays.

It’s hard work, it’s a juggling act and it leaves little time for anything else (which explains my absence from here).

But I love it.

I see it as my future career. One that will afford me flexibility and allow me to do all the things I love – writing, being active on social media and helping people. And when I’m eventually doing it full time, it will also mean more time to blog here. A definite upside to being my own boss.

And so, in the meantime, I hope that you’ll stick with me through these turbulent, unpredictable, inconsistent times.

Because I love this place and I appreciate your presence.

Comments

1. Tiffany says

Never apologise when you’re moving in a direction which is right for you!
    I will be forever grateful that I stumbled across your blog 3 or 4 years ago when you taught me how to style the Sussan fake leather ponte pant!! (Haha) you’ve been a wonderful asset to my scrolling and I look forward to the turbulent, inconsistent posts! As every one of them is worth reading! You go and chase your dreams!

2. says

No need to say sorry – the folk who love reading you here are delighted that you have a new passion (even though those early starts make my coffee cravings stronger)!
    Congrats on the new business, the website looks great, and your testimonials are awesome!
    KP x

3. Louise says

How fabulous, Sonia! I wish you the best of luck with your new business. I’ve been missing your blog posts but I’m glad to hear you’ve found a new creative outlet. You inspire me to start taking steps towards starting my own business ‘on the side’. I look forward to more blog posts in the future. In the meantime, keep up your Instagram posts. Love your style! xx

4. Sam says

Hey Sonia. Glad to hear that you have still been working your fashion magic, albeit in another arena. If multiple weekly posts doesn’t fit your schedule anymore, maybe your blog could be a ‘Weekend Magazine’ edition Nearly all other bloggers post midweek but there is a hole in weekend blogging. You could offer up a weekly wrap for readers to take in over Saturday/Sunday brunch. Just a thought… Keep living the fashion dream. xo

• MISH says

Brilliant Idea Sam!!!
      I agree that a weekend post that I could sit down and read over a coffee, brunch or during that 5 minutes of solitude within the craziness of a Saturday or a Sunday would be wonderful :)

5. MISH says

WOW SONIA – such amazing news!
    Well done on taking the leap to start your own business :)
    Yes, I am reading this post 9 days after you put it up, so I am as regular as you have been lately haha
    I had a feeling that you had been doing some social media stuff for Blush & Co … and it is wonderful to see that you have been able to make a positive difference with them and use that as a positive review for your new venture!
    I wish you all the best of luck with Socially Styled – you will rock it I am sure!
    Mish :)

6. merilyn says

i’m glad you are pursuing what feels right for you Sonia!
    I know you are a virgo and they do their best job with whatever they undertake!
    good on you lovely one!
    much love m:)X

7. Reen says

Congratulations Sonia! I don’t read blogs as much since returning to work after having my children, but I still enjoy checking out what’s going on here every now and again. Good luck with your new business, things definitely seem as if they are moving in the right direction for you!

8. says

Yep, we’ve all been there! I once left my blog for 3 months. It happens. We all need a break sometimes. I love that you’re so honest about it Sonia!