We have a local café in our neighbourhood we love to wander down to enjoy breakfast when we can’t be bothered cooking.
We both pretend to read the menu, but we both know exactly what we’re going to order… because we always order the same thing!
Me: smashed avocado with mint, peas, radish and smoked salmon. Him: the housemade baked beans.
So this past weekend, we decided to make our own baked beans, but we were starving so there was to be no baking involved. We researched a few recipes and came up with our own concoction, which was pretty darn delicious – and most ingredients we used we already had sitting in the fridge and pantry. Plus it was quick. And did I mention delicious?!
If you’re keen to have a go at our recipe, here’s how we made it…
- 2 x 400g tins of cannellini beans
- 2 x 400g tins of diced tomatoes
- 1 x red onion, finely sliced
- 1 x chilli, finely sliced (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & pepper to season
- Soften the red onion in a pan over medium heat with a little olive oil
- Drain and rinse the cannellini beans
- Add the beans to the pan and stir for a few minutes
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir
- Allow to simmer for approximately 10 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve with toast and sprinkle crispy pancetta on top (optional)