There’s something about this time of year.
And I’m talking specifically about the end of August, which just so happens to be today.
Every single year without fail, I get to this time year and feel somewhat burnt out.
Don’t get me wrong, I feel like I’ve accomplished a lot throughout the year, but there’s something about getting three quarters through something – whether it be a year, a workout, a course – and suddenly feeling unsure just how you’re going to finish it. And finish it strong.
Kinda like blogging.
I’m staring at a blank planner for the month of September and wondering just how I’m going to fill it with meaningful, entertaining, interesting content.
My brain is shrugging its shoulders at me right now: “Don’t ask me, I’m knackered. I’m so tired I can’t even think…”
Wait. That’s not my usual brain speak. F**k off self-doubt, how did you get in here? I thought I’d changed the locks. You sneaky little jerk.
It’s amazing how you can gain a little clarity just from talking about it out loud, isn’t it?
OK, so now that I’ve got that straight, I know the course of action I need to take…
- Cut myself some slack. It’s been a busy year and it’s not over yet. I need to steal regular quiet moments to take myself away from the screen and just breathe and be. That blog post can wait. The words might flow easier later today or tomorrow.
- Get out and move. The days are getting longer little by little, so I need to make the most of it and get out into the sunshine and move. Even if it’s just a brisk 20 minute walk. Exercise is sometimes more important for our mental health than it is for our physical – and this is especially true for times like these.
- Spend time with people who inspire me. I’ve gotten to know so many amazingly talented and wonderful people through this blogging caper. It’s time to pick up the phone and chat to my interstate friends or arrange coffee dates with my rad Adelaide friends. Their energy really can spark ideas.
- Take a break. The fact we’ve booked an overseas holiday at the end September couldn’t be more timely. I think I need those two weeks away more than I realise. A change of scenery, a change of pace and a change to the day-to-day routine will work wonders for me, of that I’m sure. Spain, I’m ready for you!
- Believe in myself. I’m such a typical self-critical Virgo perfectionist. I drive myself crazy! I’m constantly giving myself a hard time about how I can do better that I rarely just sit in the moment and acknowledge the good work I’ve done. Mental? Totally! Time to cut that crap and believe in myself and my abilities. Even if my creative energy isn’t striking like lightning right now, a tiny spark can ignite a flame.
Now, I realise this post is very me-centric – and for that I apologise – but surely I’m not the only one feeling this way right now? Surely by me talking about this, I might help someone out of their funk and they in turn might just help me.